mlbright's shared items

M-L's occasional ramblings.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

ethics

I'm reading a very interesting book about a dry subject. It includes the following tale:

On a very cold morning, a farmer is walking in his field and hears some very loud chirping. He bends down and it's a bird with a broken wing. Because it's very cold, the farmer picks up the bird and places it gently into a steaming cow dung then moves on to his busy day. The bird keeps chirping. Alerted, a fox arrives and eats the bird.

There are so many ways to interpret these events. For example:

a) Someone who puts you in shit doesn't necessarily mean you any harm
b) Someone who takes you out of shit doesn't necessarily mean you well
c) If you're in shit, the best thing may be to shut up

Comments?

2 comments:

Genet said...

Shit is so complex... As long as I'm alive, I think I'd be happy.

Unknown said...

I remember that from my grade 10 history class, with subtle and humourous variations.